Punctuating The Letters :
Although the usage of commas after salutation and complimentary close or the subscription were mandatory earlier but now no commas are used after salutation or subscription in the modern style of letter writing.
Colons In Special Cases :
1. Numerical expressions of time
Example : 5 : 31 P.M.
The colon goes between the hour and minute numbers. If seconds are also noted, a colon goes between the minute and second too.
Example : 5 : 31 : 45 P.M.
2. We can also use colon with salutations in businesses letters as per following.
Dear Ms. Hathaway:
3. Colons follow labels that identify important ideas meant to get attention:
Warning : to be opened by authoririzd personnel only
Capitals in Letters :
There are two additional rules for capitalizing when writing letters.
1. Capitalize the first word and all nouns in the salutation (or greeting).
My Dearest Aunt,
2. Capitalize the first word in the complmentary closing.
With best wishes,
Punctuating The Letters
to HOME PAGE